Three civilians under investigation after four drone incursions; stricter penalties planned
South Korea’s Unification Minister, Chung Dong-young, said on Wednesday that three civilians had sent drones into North Korea on four occasions since President Lee Jae Myung assumed office last year, damaging inter-Korean relations.
The drones were flown between September 2025 and January 2026, Chung said, citing ongoing investigations by police and the military. Two of the drones reportedly crashed in North Korea, while the other two returned to Paju, a border settlement in South Korea, after flying over Kaesong, North Korea.
Authorities are investigating the civilians on suspicion of violating the Aviation Safety Act and criminal laws related to benefiting an enemy. Some officials from South Korea’s military intelligence and the National Intelligence Service are also under scrutiny for potential involvement with the trio.
Read: South Korea to start reviewing US investment projects ahead of enacting bill
“We express official regret to the North,” Chung said, adding that the government was taking the incidents very seriously.
North Korea reacted angrily to the incidents. Kim Yo Jong, the powerful sister of leader Kim Jong Un, warned Seoul that provocations could lead to “terrible situations” and urged an investigation into the drone flights.
Chung also expressed regret over 18 drones that were sent to North Korea under the direction of former President Yoon Suk Yeol. He described those operations as “extremely dangerous,” aimed at sensitive areas including the airspace over the Workers’ Party office. Prosecutors have indicted Yoon, who was ousted in April 2025, on charges that include aiding an enemy state. He denies any wrongdoing.
South Korea plans to strengthen penalties for sending drones to North Korea, including up to a one-year jail term or a fine of 10 million won ($6,928). A clause will also be added to the Inter-Korean Relations Development Act to block actions that could escalate tensions on the peninsula.
